ArtCore Office in Loop, a co-working space
February 2019 or negotiable (Duration: TBD)
ArtCore is a non-merging partnership that establishes shared infrastructure and services between the Arts & Business Council of Chicago (A&BC), See Chicago Dance (SCD), and Chicago Cultural Alliance.
The ArtCore internship program is intended for current undergraduate or graduate students who have a goal of working in accounting or finance in the non-profit sector or would like to explore it. The purpose of the internship program is to help undergraduate or graduate students further cultivate their skills through real-life work experience.
This unique internship will provide the opportunity to gain exposure to not-for-profit accounting for 3 organizations under one non-merging collaboration. The intern will gather invoices and payables from the ArtCore organizations, review invoices for proper coding, enter invoices into QuickBooks Online, and ensure proper payment approval is acquired. The intern will assist ArtCore organizations in receiving and recording donations and contributions, The intern will assist with special projects such as working on financial reports and other initiatives to improve processes and efficiency for the department. The intern will be managed by the Director of Finances & Operations (“DFO”)OF ArtCore and will also interact with the executive directors and staff as needed to support the word of the DFO.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to confidently and clearly communicate information verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of the general ledger accounting and non-profit sector (preferred), either through coursework or employment experience
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with financial information
- Proficiency in MS Suite and internet research tools
- Great attention to detail and ability to work in a changing environment
- Ability to think creatively to tackle different challenges that arise and research different options
- Experience with QuickBooks or similar accounting system (preferred but not required)
Duties and Responsibilities
Throughout the internship, duties andresponsibilities could include:
- Part-time schedule is flexible and negotiable (4days per week, at maximum)
- Reviewing check request submitted by partner organizations and entering invoices into QuickBooks
- Assisting DFO with month-end close process
- Assisting with special projects and contacting third parties as necessary
- Performing gender administrative duties which support the centralized back-office for 3 non-for-profits
The ideal intern will be a junior or higher working toward a Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting, finance, or business. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply. The internship is for college credit only.
How to Apply
Please email cover letters, resumes, and approximate desired internship start and end dates, including some relevant experience or coursework, to Ivonne Romo, the ArtCore Director of Finance & Operations at [email protected]. This is an unpaid internship for academic credit. Please, no phone calls.