Position: Membership and Development Intern
Reports to: Membership and Development Associate
Time Commitment: 12-24 hrs./week, some evening or weekend support may be needed for fundraising events. Exact schedule based on intern availability.
The Chicago Cultural Alliance’s mission is to connect, promote, and support centers of cultural heritage for a more inclusive Chicago. We are an active consortium of 40 Chicago-area cultural heritage museums, centers and historical societies who span 28 neighborhoods and 7 suburbs in the Chicago area and represent over 30 different cultures from around the world.
About the Internship:
The Membership & Development Intern will gain valuable non-profit management experience through direct involvement in the planning and coordination of the Chicago Cultural Alliance’s fundraising events. The internship will provide the opportunity to work on a variety of projects including will event planning and coordination, donor and database management.
What you will learn:
- Support Associate with daily operations including member & donor inquiries, meeting scheduling and preparation as well as clerical duties (filing, copying, mailing).
- Attend staff and board meetings, and assist in public programs when necessary.
- Assist with and planning all event logistics including the annual fundraiser MOSAIC.
- Coordinate with staff on the development of event invitations, guest lists vendors, ticketing, reservations, and correspondence with event attendees.
- Assist in securing and preparing silent and live auction items for annual fundraiser MOSAIC.
- Assist with member data input and tracking in Artful.ly, our member and donor database.
- Assist in compiling and reviewing copy for member communications including e-blasts, mailings, and monthly newsletter.
- Ensure website and member lists are updated regularly.
- Assist with direct mail pieces, including proofing, editing, design input, and distribution.
- Maintain confidential donor records and database systems on our database Artful.ly.
- Research corporate sponsorships, grant applications, and in-kind donations.
- Tracking donor acknowledgement and recognition.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program, with focus in museum studies, sociology, anthropology, human and civil rights, or other social sciences preferred.
- Highly detail oriented and organized with ability to work independently and creatively.
- Outgoing personality with a willingness to learn.
- Excellent communication skills (phone, email, and in person).
- Strong work ethic with sensitivity to confidential information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Event planning experience a plus.
- Experience with database systems such as Raiser’s Edge, Tessitura, or Artful.ly a plus.
The Chicago Cultural Alliance values interns who are self-starters and share our vision of a making a Chicago a city where all communities have a voice, and cross cultural dialogue and collaboration are an integral part of Chicago’s civic fabric.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume and three (3) references to [email protected] with “Membership and Development Intern” as the subject. Only complete applications will be reviewed.