The Chicago Cultural Alliance’s mission is to connect, promote, and support centers of cultural heritage for a more inclusive Chicago.
We are an active consortium of over 40 Chicago-area cultural heritage museums, centers, and historical societies that span 30 neighborhoods and 9 suburbs in the Chicago area and represent over 30 different cultures from around the world.
Our vision is a city where all communities have a voice, and cross-cultural dialogue and collaboration are an integral part of Chicago’s civic fabric.
Board of Directors
The Chicago Cultural Alliance is the only organization of its kind in the US, representing over 40 Chicago-area cultural heritage museums, centers, and historical societies, our Core Members. Through the Alliance, Core Members are connected to a wide range of civic and arts organizations, our Partners. Our Partners and Core Members work together to increase each other’s capacity, working towards our shared vision of a more culturally inclusive and equitable region.
The Alliance was formally created in 2006 as an outgrowth of The Field Museum as the Cultural Connections program. Under the leadership of Drs. Alaka Wali and Dr. Rosa Cabrera, a steering committee of cultural connections members developed the business plan, chartered the new organization, and recruited the founding board of the Chicago Cultural Alliance.
The Alliance’s programming and services celebrate diversity, preserve history, and honor tradition while amplifying cross-cultural collaboration. Offerings include large-scale collaborative programming that showcases our membership’s work and missions, shared services, and professional development opportunities that build capacity, and promotion that platforms cultural events and exhibits across the city.
- First voice of Core Members and their communities is central to the Alliance’s operations and programs, leading to social change driven by community concerns and resources.
- Heritage is an asset not only to explain history, but also to address contemporary issues and to build leadership and innovation for the future.
- All programs are collaborative and cross-cultural, building greater impact than could be achieved by any one member or partner individually.
- The Alliance is an active community and not a loose network or a purely professional consortium.
- Engagement is not simply outreach; it is the co-development and creation of ideas, programs, and initiatives.
- Core Members contribute their professional and community expertise.
Join our email newsletter
We will keep you up to date on the Alliance’s programming and the diverse activities happening at our Core Member sites throughout the Chicagoland area